Thursday, September 6, 2012

This is NOT America...My first gym experience in China

So...I began my day early because of the jetlag....I arose at 5:00am. Not too bad for day 2 of arriving back. I checked email, checked Facebook, wrote emails, and made a "to-do" list for the day. I still have plenty of organizing to do with my things from my arrival on Monday evening.
 I had a great first day back on Tuesday. It was fun and filled with plenty to do. Went to Powerhouse Gym to sign up for membership. That was done then it was off to the monthly "Meet and Greet" coffee at the Renaissance Hotel from 10a-12p. Some of the ladies who play Mahjong are going to lunch so we went to Hot Chic for lunch. It's really good Chinese-Taiwanese food. Then we went to play Mahjong. I had SO much fun! Played at a table with ladies from the U.K, Holland, and Germany. We were laughing so hard sometimes ...we were crying! Lots of fun and I just think it's hilarious that we can all be so different but find the humor in so much as expats and our life experiences here in China.
  The one thing that did make me a bit sad...walking home solo, in the rain; and realizing my really good "gal-pal" has left for good back to the U.K. While I was home, she received the news that her husband's company was sending him back to the U.K. in June. So, I didn't even get to give her a proper goodbye! Hopefully, I will see her in December over the Christmas holiday when Mark and I go to England to spend Christmas with his family. That is the plan and I certainly hope it works out! I miss her terribly! While you do make friends here, there is usually one that you have the BFF bond with and it makes it difficult when one has to leave. It's the nature of the beast with this lifestyle...but it still SUCKS!
   So yesterday, Wednesday September 5th I am getting up early with Mark, putting the work out clothes on and getting dropped off at the gym via Mr. Shen before he takes Mark to work. This is going to be my Mon-Fri game plan. I had received a telephone call from a fitness trainer from Powerhouse the night before telling me she would meet me in the AM for a "fitness test." Hmmm...ok, I know this is going to be different, but I'm pretty sure interesting if not amusing! Always have to look on the bright side of things while I residing here or it could be brutal. So, I meet "Momo" in the locker room while changing my shoes. She says to follow her and off I go. We go into a little room where there is a few workout items, charts on the wall explaining BMI, Blood pressure readings that are considered high or normal, weight charts, etc. She has me step on the scale, AFTER she gets on to check her weight. She explains to me in her best broken English that she wants to make sure that it is accurate. Ok...do you think 1-2 kilograms off is going to be a big difference on my frame? LOL!  So, I get on the scale and it  is plain to see that I easily weigh DOUBLE what she weighs! She is only 5 feet tall and just a little petitie thing...but really? Okay...so here comes the tape measure.  As she is measuring me, she is also poking and squeezing areas of my body informing me of how "fat and soft" I am! Really? Well, thanks for the bulletin Momo, maybe thats why I am at the gym? She then goes on to explain (in her very broken, sometimes hard to understand) English that I need to exercise EVERY DAY and eat right! She then tells me she can give me a diet to follow. Ahhh...no thanks (insert images of fresh fish and tofu here! YUCK to both! ) I politely decine her offer and I then explain to her that I am an Registered Nurse and I do know what and how to eat. She seems a bit surprised by this news. So to really throw her for a loop I explain that I have lost close to 27 kilograms. Her eyes bug out as I explain to her that yes I am fat...but I was REALLY much fatter before! :)
     Now, I must explain that I love the Chinese people and their culture. They just have NO filter and to them, telling someone "the truth" (in my case, that I am too soft and fat) is not mean...it's simply the truth. So, while I am smiling and almost giggling to myself, I realize that had I not had the opportunity to come here to live among a vastly different culture; I would be offended and my feelings even might be a bit hurt. So, I explain to Momo that I understand the importance of eating right and exercising, I am also going to work very hard to get in better physical shape and condition. She seems pleased with this news and informs me we will be meeting again in three months to check my progress. So...off I go to the treadmill in the non-air-conditioned gym to start my workout. I am smiling as I realize my "fat/soft' body WILL improve as long as I continue on my quest to a healthier me. Momo will be very happy with me in three months..as will I!        

1 comment:

  1. I am totally LoLing at her reaction to how much you have lost already. You look great keep working hard!!!! Don't they know we are all "fat, lazy Americans" hahahaha thanks for the giggle. I love your blogs and of course I will drop off your developer. They didn't confiscate your color did they?

    ReplyDelete