Tuesday, May 3, 2011

.Royal Wedding...... Bell's Palsy!

The week-end came and went quickly. Friday was spent with friends at the British Pub "The Drunken Chef" for the Royal wedding festivities. We had a lot of fun checking out some of those hats! LOL! We had a nice English dinner, it was a buffet with many offerings. Roast beef, Roast pork, Yorkshire pudding, shepherd's pie,salad, vegetables, and apple crumble for dessert. I was so full from dinner, I skipped dessert. Sorry, forgot to take the camera....so no pics of the lovely English spread.
On Saturday, Mark and I made the usual trek to Casa Zoe for breakfast. We ran into Pam and Jim there. We run into each other a lot since we frequent the same places and live in the same general area. They were both at the Drunken Chef the night before also. Mark and I then decided to head over to the produce market for some fruit and vegetables. It was pretty warm and the sun was actually shining. By the time we got there,(it's about a 2 mile walk) we were both pretty hot and sweaty...and for those of you who know me...I DO NOT like to be hot and sweaty, AT ALL! So , we picked up what we needed then before walking back, decided to "cool off" with a gelato. It was yummy...a nice small lemon gelato to cool off and then journey back to the apartment. We were going to make dinner, but then Mark decided we needed to go check out Piccola Italiano over at the Li Gong Di by Jinji Lake. Okay...so we caught a cab at dinner time, and headed over. This place is owned by a man who used to have a place Mark frequented quite a bit on Bar street, but had closed. I had heard a couple of weeks back that the same owners owned this Italian eatery so Mark wanted to check it out. We are glad we did. Shirley (owner's wife) recognized Mark and was very happy to see him! She told him she had wanted to contact him, but had no way of getting a hold of him. Mark then gave her his card, and they chatted. She informed him that they still had the same chef and Mark said it looked like the menu still had quite a few of his favorite items. Let me just say, the meal was excellent. I had a chicken dish with asparagus and blueberry sauce(I know...it sounds weird, but it was fabulous!) mark had a veal dish and said it was wonderful, just like he remembered. Shirley even bought us a drink and we enjoyed those cocktails while sitting outside. I then received a text from Ollie about poker that evening. Ollie's is directly across from where we had just had our delectable dinner...so I ask my most wonderful husband..."Do you mind if I play poker this evening?" He of course does not, so he goes back to the apartment and I head over to Ollie's to play cards. I had a good time...except I busted out at number 3 {they were only paying top 2 finishers :( } But, I had a fun evening.
Sunday was spent doing homework (after my Awesome husband made me pancakes for breakfast!)and relaxing. We watched a movie (No Strings Attached) and just hung around the apartment. Mark is off on Monday because of a Chinese holiday (I do not know which holiday) so we just hung out at home. He started to practice his saxophone, and then informed me he can't play it right because his lips "aren't working". After chuckling, and telling him it's probably because he hasn't practiced much, he says no..."my mouth won't work right." I look at him..make him take off his glasses, and then tell him to smile at me....UH OH...his smile is lopsided. Now, he had complained of neck pain the day before and after refusing to take anything for it (my husband absolutely refuses to take any "tablets" for anything), but he came to me later in the evening and said what should I take? I knew the pain was probably pretty bad for him to want to take something for it. I gave him some motrin and we had gone to bed not too long after. He said it was still a bit achy that morning, but my husband is not a complainer, so it's always hard to assess how his pain really is. Anyway, I ask him does his face feel numb, can he close his eye on that left side, raise his eyebrow, etc... (the nurse in me is doing a neuro exam) I think...hmmmm looks like Bell's Palsy to me. So, I head to the computer and do a bit of research...yeah..it's Bell's Palsy. I ask him to go to the doctor... of course it's No, I'll see how I feel in the morning! Really? SO...where is my husband now this next morning? Heading to the clinic....because now it appears to be affecting his eye on the left side as well. I hope they can give him some steroids and/or anti-viral meds to help with the swelling of the facial nerve that is affected. It's true what is said about this affliction...it comes on suddenly! So, I sit here waiting to hear from him as he heads to the clinic (He HAD to go to the office first..that workaholic husband of mine!)Just keep good thoughts...okay? I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

  1. Michele - hope the condition clears up fast. My bff had it once, and it was slow, but finally went completely away. I remember one day she smiled at me, and all of a sudden I realized she had given me a full smile - it was great. The lopsided grin was the last sign to go away. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope things have cleared up!

    ReplyDelete