Saturday, February 19, 2011

Busy Girl!

It's been a pretty busy and hectic week. More so because of school and having to do a lot of reading. I did manage to squeeze in some time to spend with my new international friends though. I went and checked out the western "library" they have established for EAS members. It is located in one of the members homes. There is 3 bookshelves full of books. All kinds, fiction, non-fiction, history, and humor. I was quite surprised by the selection. I picked up a Michael Creighton book dealing with some medical mystery. I haven't started it yet, so I figure it will be good for when I have a bit of free time...which isn't very often lately! :)
I also met my friend C for lunch before we headed to the library. She brought along a lady I had not met. She was very interesting. W is American, but raised in Taiwan. She spoke fluent Chinese as well as English. She works here, as does her husband. She is another lady that is full of information and a good contact to have. We enjoyed our lunch at a place called J&J (an Italian place) and located right in the apartment complex and just one building over from me.
At the library/coffee gathering, I met more ladies I hadn't met. A couple of them from Germany, and another from Sweden. I am so impressed with how well these ladies speak English (as a second language!) It borders on embarrassing that I only speak English...I guess this may encourage me to really step up learning Chinese! Mark and I will be starting formal Chinese language classes next month. I will also continue with my Rossetta Stone-Mandarin...it ain't easy folks...but I'm no quitter!
On Friday, needlecraft/knitting is held at one of the ladies apartments...and then usually lunch. I was unable to go to the needlecraft get together, but I texted one of the ladies to ask if they were going to lunch after. I got a text back to come meet them...they would wait at the entrance of the apartment complex where they were. It's only about a 15 minute walk from me...so I told them I would meet them at the designated place and time. So, I ventured out at about 11:45 to meet them at 12 noon. I decided to take a different way then what I knew...thinking I could go this particular way....WRONG! Where I thought I could cut through was a totally different apartment complex! Nice move Michele....you idiot!!! So, I ended up walking about 1.5 miles out of my way...and was late (by about 10 minutes). The ladies were kindly waiting for me. Lesson learned....take the way you know!!!
We ended up at a Chinese restaurant. I've made a decision....I always thought I didn't like Chinese food, I've discovered I don't like WESTERN CHINESE FOOD!! I really like the Chinese food in China!! So, there you have it. The Chinese I've had in America the few times I had it...was fried, greasy, and just plain yucky! The Chinese food I've had in China..has been fresh, flavorful, and delicious! Oh...and the price is unbeatable. There was 8 of us and our bill was 165 RMB = $25.38 US dollars!! Yep...lunch cost me a whole three dollars and that included tea! Gotta love that! The best part of lunch? Having it with 4 Finnish, 1 German, 1 Swede, and 2 English women! How cool is that?? I was the only American in the bunch! I have to ask my self...how lucky am I to experience this in my lifetime? Pretty darn lucky that's for sure!

1 comment:

  1. I think you are lucky too. And it's great that you've made some friends to experience it with. :)

    ReplyDelete