Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Mahjong Tuesday, February 1

Tuesday...head over to the nail place and Jennifer is there. She is extremely apologetic for the mishap yesterday. I tell her it's not a problem, mix ups happen. This woman speaks great English and she's a pretty savvy gal too! It is not easy to open a business as a woman in China. This culture has come a long way, but women are still looked upon as inferior to men. She is young and a new Mom of a 10 month old daughter. She has got a great reputation among the Western women here and has quite a big Western clientele. That is quite an accomplishment for her. She used to work at another place, and many customers followed her to her new place. While I was there, I met another woman who is here with her husband as a trailing spouse. She has been in Suzhou for 4 years and loves it. She was quite chatty and she was heading to Thailand for the New Year holiday. She and her husband have traveled all over the world for his job, but she said Suzhou is her favorite place so far.
While I was here, Val called to ask if I might like to walkover to where the EAS ladies (Expatriates Association of Suzhou)...(my sister asked what the heck is EAS!! so there it is... :)play majong every Tuesday. I said, sure why not? I've never played but I am willing to give it a try. We made plans to meet at the gate of the apartment complex at 1:15 because they play from 1:30 till 4:00. Oh my!! What a crazy game! The scoring is absolutely mind-boggling! I would try to explain the game and scoring...but heck, I think I still.... no ...I KNOW I still don't get it and it will be a while before I do.The watered down version is...it's like Gin Rummy, but played with tiles...and there are many crazy rules!! Okay..that's my explanation. It was fun, and I'd play again.
Mark ended up working a bit late...I made a chicken and vegetable stirfry for dinner, that turned out pretty good. I have to say...I do LOVE the vegetables here. Very fresh and very flavorful. I had a bit of a meltdown too. Mark had told me he spoke to the shipping company and they plan on shipping our stuff over after they get his residency permit and after the Chinese holiday....WHAT??? That's right...the shipment I had to have packed by January 7th...is still in the USA...I am super annoyed because I heard it can sit in customs for weeks sometimes.You just never know...I know one thing, knowing my luck...all my spring/summer clothes will be sitting in customs on a dock, while I swelter in the clothes I packed! I am not at all happy about this news...but what can I do? Tomorrow is another day in China and mark is off for the next six days...I'm going to be grateful for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment