Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Chinese Language...oh what fun!

Mark and I have started language classes last week. Our Chinese teacher is named Ashley (I have no clue what her Chinese name is). She is as cute as a button...and probably all of 23 years old! She does speak impeccable English and I have found her to be a good teacher...so far. Oh to be young again and be able to have my brain cells retain this information! Between grad school research and paper writing, add learning a foreign language to the mix...MY HEAD HURTS!!!
There are sound to this language that our American tongues and lips are not use to forming. Oh...and I forgot to mention the tones! Yes tones, four of them....the word MA can mean four different things, depending on the TONE ! Oh, it's been a treat and poor Mr. Shen (our driver) gets many laughs from us slaughtering his native language!! He is a good sport and does attempt to correct us and teach us the proper pronunciation and tone!
Mark actually missed class this evening , due to working late. My husband works too many hours and far to hard! Thank goodness we leave for our anniversary trip on March 18th. It's our tenth wedding anniversary on March 23rd. and my husband has planned a lovely trip for us...I'll keep you updated when I find out where we are celebrating...He has kept it a surprise! That's my wonderful Englishman for you...oh, but he is a wonderful man and I sure am lucky to call him my husband!

1 comment:

  1. A former co-worker of mine was from Malaysia but ethnically was Chinese. I remember her demonstrating the 4 tones of "ma" before and explaining what each one meant. I don't remember now what they were though.

    ReplyDelete