Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Saturday Shopping in Shanghai

Well, we woke up early to head over to Casa Zoe for breakfast (delicious blueberry pancakes!) then it was off to the supermarket near Mark's old apartment. We got most of the items on my list...not all! We ran into Gary; Mark's co-worker. We made plans to meet up with him later at the Blue Marlin to have a few beers and listen to the band. We took a taxi back because we had a pretty heavy bag to lug back to the apartment.
Mr. Shen was picking us up at 1:00PM to go to Shanghai. It's a two hour car ride, so I took my textbook to read for my new class that is starting. We arrived a little before 3:00 and off we go to shoe shop. For those of you who don't know...I am married to a fashionista! He need some brown shoes (he has a pair of brown shoes, but they do not go with the new suit he had made!) We search for ties also. We find him a few new ties (4) then it's off to find shoes. He finds a pair he likes...let the haggling begin! This shop owner is one tough cookie! She is really trying to get Mark to pay more than he wants! :) My husband is not having it. He has lived here for nearly three years, and he knows the game only to well! She is persistent though. After about 15 minutes, Mark finally gets his shoes at the price he wanted...but he had to work for it! Shopping is an exhausting sport here in China let me tell you, but fun! :)
I have been looking for a "happy Budda" for myself. I just think they are cute and I have been casually looking since my visit back in '09. I found one, haggled now I have my "happy Budda"!
Isn't he cute??

Done shopping, we stop for a coffee and split a sandwich; and then it's time to head back. We got back around 6:30 and we head back out around 8:00 to stop at the DVD store, then off to the Blue Marlin. It was packed! We ended up sitting at the bar, had a couple of beers and listened to the band. I ran into my friend Susanna and met her husband. We stayed till around 11:30 then headed back to the apartment. Tomorrow is going to be a lazy Sunday of watching movies and just staying put!

2 comments:

  1. Michele, I am soooo enjoying reading about your adventures! Is your Suzhou the city in the Jiangsu province? I looked it up, and it looks fascinating. Have you been to any of the gardens? I'm living vicariously through you, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Susan!

    Glad you are enjoying reading about my crazy adventure! Yes, you are correct. Suzhou is in the Jiangsu Province. I have been to a couple of the gardens, with trips planned to many more...they are beautiful!! Pictures for sure will be posted in the Spring!

    ReplyDelete